Monday, March 9, 2009

Chapter 7 & 8: Fear Is In The Air

"'I'm scared,' she whispers. 'I'm scared for Abba.' "
"It's as if Aisha is finally saying what we're both afraid to imagine:... Everything looks different to us now: the streets, the tar roofs, the park. I inch a little closer to Aisha. None of this is ours anymore, we realize, and for the rest of the ride we say nothing."

I chose these excerpts because they are almost summarizing the entire book so far. They are both terrified, but Aisha holds in in, while Nadira doesn't try as hard to hide it. Then it all becomes so real that Aisha has to face the facts of reality: she is scared.

I think that Aisha saying I'm scared has a much deeper meaning too though. To me she isn't just saying I'm scared, Aisha is telling Nadira that she can't be strong forever. I think it is almost a cry for help. It feels like Aisha is becoming overwhelmed with pressure and stress, and her admitting that she is scared to Nadira is like telling her that they have to work together, that Aisha knows Nadira can help.

No comments:

Post a Comment