Thursday, March 5, 2009

Chapter 6: Ring of Fire

"The whole way to school I keep thinking about what Auntie said about Uncle and Taslima. Ma has always told me that uncle has a sour nature because he's borne too many losses. There was Partition, when half his family was killed, and then his twin sons who died of a fever back in Dhaka. And then there's Taslima, who's done all kinds of crazy things. One time she came home with two silver studs in her ear; another time she called Auntie up and said she and some friends had driven upstate to some college, and they were spending the weekend there. Nobody we know would ever to such a thing, much less talk to there parents that way. But that's Taslima-it's like she's got this ring of angry flames around her, daring you to touch her and be burned."

This paragraph really jumped out at me because of the severity of its content. When I read this paragraph, I mainly focused on the parts about Taslima. She is unafraid of being found out, and of the culture made her and her family outcasts; that I think one of the reasons her and her father are always at ends with each other, is because her father is slightly in aw of her boldness. I personally don't know what drives Tasmila to do such things, and neither, I think, does Nadira. I think she is so confused and awed by her cousins actions, that she doesn't stop to think about them. Nadira's little outburst gave her a taste of what she has been suffering through all of these years, and now that she has tasted power, I am afraid she will not be able to resist it. I think that Nadira wants to see herslelf in Taslima's light; burning bright with a sharp tongue and wild ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment